Information brings knowledge, knowledge brings understanding, and understanding brings peace. While it is not possible to understand everything about the complexities of suicide, it helps to know the following.
- Suicide crosses all boundaries: age race, gender, beliefs, cultures, economic status, and social standing.
- Stress, medications, and other things can cause physical changes in the brain, resulting in distorted thoughts, hallucinations, and/or a breakdown in logic and reasoning capabilities.
- Most suicides are related to mental illness or behavior disorders, but some are not. Other things, like impaired impulse control, addictions, and physical illness, can play a part.
- When hope dies, a person feels there is no reason to live, no matter how many people love him or her or how much support is available.
- Often, thoughts are only of escaping mental anguish. If family and friends are thought of at all, these thoughts may focus on death as a way to relieve loved ones of the burden of dealing with the person in pain.